Friday, April 04, 2008

Moving Anniversary


This week has been jammed with mostly unbloggable stuff so it's been difficult to find both the time and the inspiration for a post. This weekend however brings another important milestone Chez QG.

Tomorrow, Babs is moving out to her own apartment in Houston, not far from her job and Portia and DK. The downstairs is full of bags and boxes and we're just about ready for the movers to arrive tomorrow. Yes, her bags are packed and ready to go--standing there inside the door!

El Jefe pointed out that tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of the day we moved into this house. At that time Portia was 6 and Babs was 4. They grew up in this house and now El Jefe and I will become full-time empty-nesters. It's a sad day and it's a glad day, because, as one wise friend told me years ago, seeing our children become happy, successful, independent adults is the goal of parenting. Still, I'll probably have to weep a happy little weep after she's gone. And then I'll count all the many blessings we've been given with Portia and Babs and embrace the next stage of our lives.

8 comments:

Sue said...

I hear you QG. It is so rewarding and good to see your children happy and independent, but there is always that slight bit of wistfulness for their growing years.

Try to remember that they are the fine people they are because of the fine parenting they have been blessed with.

Our youngest just got his first full-time permanent job this week. I'm so proud I could bust!

Gannet Girl said...

You're having a day of good memories, too!

Congratulations to all of you for having navigated the years so well.

Ruby said...

Bittersweet, QC. Sometimes all the growing up time collects in a single image.
Now I have to get the lump out of my throat before I go on to the next thing. Thanks for a reminder, in the middle of a busy day, of what's really important.
I'm sending you a virtual glass of champagne and an arm around the shoulder. Portia and Babs are lucky girls.

DogBlogger said...

(((QG)))

St. Casserole said...

No one believes how quickly they grow up...I didn't and now, I do.

Rats! Good that they grow up and sad that they grow up and leave.

Thinking of you

Unknown said...

Blessings to you all in this new phase of life!

will smama said...

(((QG)))

Becky Ardell Downs said...

Amen, sister. Blessings to all of you. Let me know if there's any way I can help. Other than actually moving boxes, which I'll leave to someone else, of course. I mean like spiritual help or something.