Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Some Thoughts on Presbytery-Prayers

One of the responsibilities of the Moderator at a presbytery meeting is to choose the open and closing hymns and to give opening and closing prayers. The stated presbytery meetings for this year are planned with themes for the day, often focusing on a guest speaker's topic. That makes it easier to choose hymns for the day that reflect the theme and to offer prayers that are appropriate for the meeting. Called presbytery meetings present a different challenge because they are usually called for the purpose of deciding issues that could be contentious.

Although I am comfortable offering prayers in public, offering prayers before a large assembly containing many pastors is another matter. Here are some of my thoughts about praying at presbytery meetings, both stated and called:
  • It's a prayer, not a sermon. Keep it short and avoid opinionated pronouncements.
  • Be specific and pray about the purpose of the meeting. Remember that God already knows why you are meeting and doesn't need an explanation.
  • Ask for God's direction and help, don't give instructions to the LORD.
  • Some phrases to avoid: "we just", "the ways in which we blah blah blah", "live into whatever".
  • Too many adjectives are like a verbal stutter--one or two suffice.
  • Choose hymns with text that is appropriate to the meeting and then repeat an appropriate phrase in the prayer to reinforce the message of the hymn text.
  • Be prepared with an outline in order to avoid rambling, but allow the Holy Spirit to guide the prayer through the outline.
Comments and additional suggestions from my Gentle Readers are appreciated!

7 comments:

DogBlogger said...

All good suggestions. I must say that cases of the "we justs" drive me batty! (If you "just" want one thing from God, why do you follow it up with five more "we justs" in subsequent sentences?)

Lori said...

I believe you have it covered QG.

Too many adjectives like a verbal stutter is a good way to put it. Or not, as you stated. :)

Ruby said...

We just hope all the prayer leaders will just live into all the warm, wonderful, wise, thoughtful directions from QC, bless her heart.
Amen.

Psalmist said...

I just want to say that I just think your list is just perfect, QG! (And the only thing worse than "we-juses" is "Jesus, we-juses" in a prayer! I hear that, and it's all I can do to keep from laughing. I know, prayer is a serious thing. I "just" wish that people's words would reflect that.)

As usual, I’m a day late and a dollar short: Monday was “Blogger Appreciation Day,” or so I was told. My intention was to comment at each blog on my Bloglines subscription, but you know where the road paved with good intentions leads…

So here’s a note to let you know that I appreciate you and your writing, QG. Thanks for blogging.

Reyes-Chow said...

Great list not only for Presbyteries, but good for us ALL to keep in mind.

Crimson Rambler said...

Yes indeed!!! good advice for anyone leading in prayer in any setting, I think.
The choice of hymns at our Electoral Synod was very tactful and appropriate...and appreciated!

Mary Beth said...

Well said!