Friday, February 15, 2008

Beyond the Non-Sectarian Prayer

Help!! I've been asked to offer the prayer at the local literacy council's Book and Author event Sunday. I'm not a fan of the secular public prayer, but it is a cultural convention deeply ingrained around here.

Here's my concern and where I could use some help from my Gentle Readers. The crowd in attendance will include not just every possible flavor of Christian denominations (with extra dollops of born-again evangelicals mixed in) but also significant numbers of Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims and Sikhs, representing the wide diversity of folks in our community. Of course, I could stifle my habit of closing the prayer in the name of Jesus, but how to come up with an appropriate pan-theological invocation?

El Jefe suggested that I begin thusly:
Dear God (hereinafter referred to as "God" whether one or more irrespective of gender, or quality or spirituality) .....
Ummm. I don't think so. Suggestions?

Monday morning UPDATE: At last night's event I opened the invocation "Creator God" and closed "In Your Holy Name we pray." Thanks for your suggestions, they were quite helpful. A couple of people came up and complimented me on the prayer.

13 comments:

Mark Smith said...

You cover a lot of theological ground with a prayer to the "Creator".

Lori said...

*snickers* "(hereinafter referred to as......)" El Jefe's gonna end up on heaven's legal team.

Mark's got a good idea with "Creator". Then there's always "Maker", and for fun "The Man Upstairs" (or person, if gender reference is an issue)

Or,
"We ask you, who we call by many names: Creator, Maker, Allah, Lord, to be with us today" ......etc. etc.

Reformed Catholic said...

I think a good 'middle' ground is using the term 'Holy One'.

Thus you cover inclusiveness (not male or female), monotheists, polytheists (if they have a primary god), etc.

Of course, you could use Ambassador Londo Mollari's term (from the TV series Babylon 5) "Great Maker" ... (also used as a nickname for the series writer/creator J. Michael Stracynski).

Gannet Girl said...

Aw, I kinda like El Jefe's.....

I like Creator, too, but I don't think that includes the Buddhists. But -- I googled and found a Buddhist prayer to Amida, Oneness of Ligth and Life. Amida was apparently an incarnation of the Buddha -- guess that doesn't work so well.

Maybe a meditation on gratitude rather than a prayer of invocation? I think pretty much everyone prays gratitude one way or another.

And there is a LOT to be grateful for if people of that many traditions gather together to celebrate reading!

Jody Harrington said...

I like the "Creator" and "Holy One" suggestions, that's good. I can do that and certainly, as GG, suggests the theme of the prayer will be gratitude for the gathering and for the sharing of knowledge through books and reading.

How to wind it up, though? Maybe, "Hear our prayer and bless our efforts"? I'm going to say "amen" so they know the prayer is over, so if anyone has a problem with that, they'll just have to get over it.

I plan to keep it brief, which should keep me out of trouble!

Alan said...

If it weren't a literary group I'd vote for "Yo! Dude!" but El Jeffe's works for me. Just make certain everyone signs a EULA first so they are clear on what the prayer does and does not promise....

Alan

Mrs. Shoes said...

Since it's a book thing how about praying to the Author of Wisdom?

Jon said...

You could also choose a literary prayer that is particularly Christian, acknowledge the diversity of the group beforehand, and invite them to listen to a prayer that comes from your specific community.

George P. said...

Maybe you should stick to your normal invocation and closing. The folks at that gathering know you are a Christian so why not do what they probably expect? Stick to a Christian invocation and if they don't like it you won't be asked again. (No more stress. :-) ) Alternatively, you could be totally "hip" - and very out of date and just start with an informal . . . "Yo,"

Karen Sapio said...

Hmm. In similar contexts I've closed with "We ask this in your Holy Name, Amen."

Jody Harrington said...

That's a good closing, PCIT. Thanks.

reverendmother said...

El Jefe is El Funny.

opinionated said...

I like El Jefe's idea--covering all the bases in case someone takes offense and you get sued. Seriously, I think you got some good suggestions. And if they don't want a Christian prayer, then don't ask a Christian!