Sunday, June 04, 2006

QG Takes One for the Team


Today El Jefe and I, along with a couple of good friends, were at Minute Maid Park watching our beloved Astros play the Cincinnati Reds when suddenly a foul ball off the bat of one of the Reds flew into our section and hit me on the knee.

Fortunately, it didn't hit very hard. But I am already getting a little bruise there. If El Jefe hadn't been SO preoccupied with emailing on his Blackberry, he could have caught it. But he's just wild with work right now and was lucky to be at the game at all since he had to attend a client's meeting at 9 am this morning. Yes, on a Sunday! That's what $70/barrel oil does to your life when you are a lawyer who specializes in corporate financing and you are in Houston where most of your clients are in the oil and gas business. This makes life pretty stressful Chez Grace right now.

I don't mind taking a little ding for the team--but the Astros haven't been playing well for a couple of weeks. We went on Friday night and had to invoke the 10 run rule and leave once our team fell 10 runs behind. That was B-A-D. Today they went to extra innings, but still lost. Razzlefraczit. We can always hope that the return of The Rocket (Roger Clements) to the pitching rotation in a couple of weeks will turn it all around.

Until then, I'm off to ice my knee!

4 comments:

Sue said...

Ouch! I hope the ice helps.

annie said...

Ouch! Did the camera zoom in for a close-up as you rubbed your knee? That would have added insult to injury for me...and did you get to keep the ball?

Jody Harrington said...

No close-ups, thank heaven! I didn't catch the ball and it bounced away. Actually, a young man in the row in front of us caught it and he was so happy because it was his birthday. He had a baseball glove with him, too.

Miranda said...

Have had a run-in with a soft ball in the not to distant past, I can truly feel your pain. See post from April 17. 2006.