Monday, September 08, 2008

When Lovebugs Attack


Our car looked WORSE than this yesterday as El Jefe and I drove up to Lufkin, Texas for an installation at the First Presbyterian Church.

Fortunately, we got to town early and stopped at a service station to clean up the car a bit. The windshield was almost completely covered in Lovebug goo. The front bumper was totally black with (ahem) lovebugs lovebugging. It took us 30 minutes to get the windshield clean. We gave up on the bumper. Lovebugs have no shame.

Since it was getting dark on the way home, we stopped midway and did it all over again. Squinting through lovebug parts into oncoming headlights is not recommended by the National Highway Safety Administration.

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor lovebugs will keep the Mom-derator from her appointed rounds...

UPDATE FOR PRESBYTERIAN GAL: Here's a photo of the lovebugs.

11 comments:

Rev Kim said...

That's life as usual here in Wyoming. I have bugs on my front bumper that I don't think will ever come off!

Lori said...

Pardon my etymological ignorance, but is there really such a thing as a "lovebug"?

I remember being in Texas and going to a service station restroom. After unlocking and opening the door, the giant cockroach sitting on the toilet, reading the newspaper looked at me and said "Do you mind?". I have since always been most respectful of Texas wildlife. In all forms. But this, on your car, after one drive......shivers me timbers!!

Becky Ardell Downs said...

When I was a kid, we all thought they were so cute how they flew around together like that. . . Ah, childhood, when you don't actually have to drive the car through the plague . . . Yes, it's just a nasty little part of East Texas life now.

Anonymous said...

Ewww! But then again we have an invasion of shaggin' singin' cicadas every 17 years.

PresbyG

Reformed Catholic said...

I remember that from driving in Florida. My wife warned me about them, and we were driving down in the RV.

We stopped and bought a 'lovebug' net (not really called that, but you get the idea) and attached it to the front of the RV.

Kept most of the goo from getting into the radiator, but I kept a few gallons of window washer fluid handy to refill the washer as needed.

That's one thing I do not envy about Southern living.

Rev Kim said...

Okay, our bugs are not of the "love bug" variety. I didn't know there was such a thing!

Lori said...

Why, just the two of them are kinda pretty! But enough to make goo does not seem pretty at all.

Thanks for the picture.

jim_l said...

In a bad year in Florida they can completely black out the front of a vehicle. I worked at a U-haul there and we would get trucks in where the part above the cab had a layer so thick you could not read the logo. My job was to wash the trucks....

Questing Parson said...

But did the weight of the bugs effect your gas mileage?

spookyrach said...

Ugh!

We have skeeters and grasshoppers as big as your thumbs, but no lovebugs. I didn't know they were real either!

Althea N. Agape said...

QP, I think they mess up the aerodynamics!

They are one thing I DON'T miss about home.